Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word/PDF Generation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ded

Programmer
Nov 3, 2000
GB
Has anyone come across an application/custom tag which can generate MS Word or PDF documents?

Cheers,
Duncan

Our company uses a program called activePDF ( to generate custom documents for users who select a variety of portions of an html article to fit their needs. I do not use it personally so I am not a good person to ask questions. But I know it works. Check out there website for more details to see if it fits your needs.
Mitch Duszynski
Web Developer
Human Kinetics
PO Box 5076, Champaign, IL 61825
Tel: 217-351-5076 x2474 | Fax: 217-351-2674
mitchd@hkusa.com |

I have some code that create an rtf (word) file, everything I have found that creates pdf's won't support word wrapping and automatic page breaks (if you have long text).

Let me know if you are interested.

Tony

Tony,

Your code sounds just like what I need. Is it freeware or commercial?

Regards,
Duncan
--
Duncan Davidson
Web Manager
Aberdeen College
Scotland, UK
d.davidson@abcol.ac.uk

Did this work?
Where can I get the code?
Chris Sorel
chris@exnihilo.com
Remember, If you continue to do what you have always done,

you will continue to get what you have always gotten.

I just came upon this thread. Generating Word/RTF files is definitely doable; here is a link to an article that gives you the basics:

One proviso: We have found that we need to add this line to the top of the cfm page:

<CFHEADER NAME=&quot;Content-Disposition&quot; VALUE=&quot;attachment; filename=YOURDOCUMENTNAME.doc&quot;>

Good luck. Kathryn

Hi I've just found this, a bit late too though I'm afraid. Yes generating RTF's isn't too tricky, even got one including a picture of a signature. But I want to take it one step forward and upload the generated doc, and then attach it to an email, then delete the doc, all automated...any ideas?

Aaah, got it! I've done some string processing to build the RTF source into a variable, use CFFILE action=write NAMECONFLICT=OVERWRITE with this variable to write file into a temp storage.

Then nornal mimeattach with CFMAIL, and optional clean up by deleting file.

Or is there a better way, this does take a few seconds?

I did a similar task recently where report creation and e-mailing was required. - There are two command buttons. When either button is pressed, I create a report as an rtf file. One command button allows viewing in the browser, (the rtf file is sent back with an http header) another command button goes to a screen where a message can be typed in, and controls on that screen allow the report to be e-mailed to any recipient(s). I know there are many good texts out there, but in my particular case I was able to find pertinent examples in the book &quot;The Cold Fusion 5 Web Application Construction Kit&quot; (QUE). The examples served as the conceptual foundation for what I needed to do, although there was much customization. My app is not finished yet, but all the basic functions are there. Hope this helps.

I've tried the method that Kathryn suggested in this thread. I run into a problem in that when I click the link I've created for the RTF export/download, I get the following Windows error message:

&quot;Internet Explorer cannot download from 127.0.0.1.

Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.&quot;

Is it something I've mis-coded, or maybe something I need to configure in Windows? Any help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back