Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJCooperIT

Programmer
May 30, 2002
US
Merriam-Webster Inc., publisher of a leading U.S. dictionary, is asking visitors to its Web site to pick:

Get your vote in by December 4th. I have to give this one careful consideration. Your suggestions?

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant Developer/Analyst Oracle, Forms, Reports & PL/SQL (Windows)
My website: www.EmuProductsPlus.com

mmrsupport said:
sticking to traditional news coverage (which isn't much better than the comedy central version)

A recent study at Indiana University found that The Daily Show with Jon Stewart is just as substantive as the major networks' news.

guitarzan said:
It takes a word that should be an absolute (the truth), and adds a suffix that implies wiggle room, and contradicts "the truth".

Well said.

- Rod

I've watched The Daily Show on occasion, back when Colbert was on it, so I'm familiar. I just don't see the big deal about the word, it's not a work of art, why treat it as such? In fact, I do think it's clever, but not to the point of a new word being dictated, or even an entry in Wikipedia.

so guitarzan - I absolutely feel you on the administration and it's lack of truth, but as you say, to each his own. I tell you what, Colbert and Steve Bridges at the Correspondents dinner were classic.

> A recent study at Indiana University found that The Daily Show with Jon Stewart is just as substantive as the major networks' news.

Rod, doesn't surprise me in the least. I like the network news primarily for the health care topics and the "Fleecing of America" bits.

I think anyone that thinks a word is less valid because it originated in a work of satire is a mugwump at best, and more likely a bandersnatch. :)

- Rod

I was sick yesterday so I watched Colbert's Report, he showed new MW Dictionary and said there is NO 'Truthiness' in it so he printed out his own page and glued it in.
But spacewise something had to go and it was 'try' word so we do not have 'try' now. he is nuts!

RodKnowlton, I'd say they were probably a victim of gerrymandering, besides.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa.

Ladyazh: Colbert is not nuts!
There is a very sound basis for removing the word 'try':

Yoda:
" Do or do not, there is no 'try'".

----

MicroZealous, a little late, but excellent point!

I like truthiness too, I think it is an excellent descriptor of what passes for 'truth' in America these days (can't speak for other countries).

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back