Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJCooperIT

Programmer
May 30, 2002
US
Merriam-Webster Inc., publisher of a leading U.S. dictionary, is asking visitors to its Web site to pick:

Get your vote in by December 4th. I have to give this one careful consideration. Your suggestions?

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant Developer/Analyst Oracle, Forms, Reports & PL/SQL (Windows)
My website: www.EmuProductsPlus.com

I think "scandal" should be a contender, followed closely by "incompetent".

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day! Ye has a choice: talk like a pira

I tend to think that the word which sums up a year the best is "year".

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"

I'd offer 'insurgents', which I don't recall getting as much air-time/column inches last year.

soi la, soi carré

How about 'Iraq' (if only to annoy the likes of Bush and Blair) ?

Quagmire" fits a number of situations, political, physical, and otherwise.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa.

After looking it up in M-W, I've chosen 'snafu' [bigsmile]

Chris

If yer see a Rook on 'is own, im's a Crow. If yer sees a flock o' Crows, them's Rooks - My Uncle Cecil

In the same vein, everything seems 'fubar' just now.

Alan Bennett said:
I don't mind people who aren't what they seem. I just wish they'd make their mind up.

A couple of neologisms gleaned from the Spectator newspaper this week:
Code:
To Smirt - The combined act of smoking and flirting by employees required to exit their workplace to smoke.

Brownsploitation - The rush to market products associated with Dan Brown and the 'Da Vinci Code'.

soi la, soi carré

I thought "Brownsploitation" would be the UK Chancellor of the Exchequeur (Gordon Brown) introducing yet another back-door tax.

I submitted 'sectarian'.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

CajunCenturion, if you do not mind me asking, which definition of sectarian do you think applies the most to 2006?

Such questions are always welcome.

The definition would be "of or relating to a sect".

--------------
Good Luck
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Umami for me.

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Constantly Smokeycat.

Keeping in shape is not an easy thing.

Round is a shape of course.....

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Ladyazh, I wouldn't be surprised to find 'scientology' on some word-of-the-year lists.

'Podcast' is another word that may find it's way onto the lists.

--------------
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back