Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Mail Merge w/ Carriage Return in text

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunc0029

Programmer
Jan 9, 2003
US
Has anyone ran into this before? Any suggestions?

We have word mail merge documents to pull from VFP tables. I found a weird bug with Word 97 where it will CENTER a merge field ( although alignment is left ) if there is a carriage return in the data. Taking out the carriage return makes it left justify, as desired.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Try:
CHRTRAN(lcString, CHR(13), "")

Regards,

Mike

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike.

I realize I could strip out the carriage returns, but I'd prefer a way to allow the carriage returns to show up in the Word mail merge. The field is a notes-like free form text field, which needs to preserve the formatting it was entered with.

I could use automation to manipulate the text, but I'm just hoping there's a quick fix for something so trivial/buggy.

Hi Jason,

Word will put in soft returns depending on the font or font size when it thinks that it's at the right margin. Try a different font or reduce the font size so that Word doesn't use soft returns.

Regards,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back