Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word: Mail Merge Data Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShabanaHafiz

Programmer
Jun 29, 2003
PK
I created LetterDatabase workbook in Excel. Sheet1 contains columns for letter fields like Name, Address, JobTitle, Salary etc. Then I created a document LetterFormatA in MS Word. In the Mail Merge, I selected LetterDatabase, Sheet1 of Excel and inserted Merge fields in Word.

I then created a folder LetterProject and copied two files LetterDatabase.xls and LetterFormatA.doc in it. This folder was placed in server machine and three users were given access to this folder. When I tried to open LetterFormatA.doc in one user’s PC, I got Data Link Properties dialog box. On selecting Cancel, I got the message; This operation cannot be completed because of dialog or database engine failures. Please try again later. I clicked OK. Then I got the message; LetterFormatA.doc is a mail merge main document. Word cannot find its datasource, S:\LetterDatabase.xls. I clicked Find Data Source and selected LetterDatabase.xls. This opened the file LetterFormatA.doc.

The problem is that, this connection to LetterDatabase.xls is remembered by MS Word only up to the current session. The next day, when the user logs on again, he again gets Data Link Properties dialog box and he has to manually configure the connection with LetterDatabase.xls again.

I believe you need to open LetterFormatA.doc located on the server and reassociate it with the LetterDatabase.xls also located on the server. Because you initially saved the documents to your local machine, LetterFormatA.doc is looking for the path to be on the local machine (e.g. c:\...) instead of on the network. Once you have reassociated the data file with the merge letter using the new location on the server and save the merge letter, your users shouldn't receive the message.

Thank you.

Problem solved. Used an approach close to the suggested one.

The issue that came up was different drive letters were appearing in client machines of users. For example, one user had drive letter Y, whereas other had V etc. I disconnected two network drives on users' machines, swapped their letters and mapped them again. Now I got the same drive letter Y on all machines and now users are not receiving the message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back