Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word line centering issue Office 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinnKota

Technical User
Nov 19, 2003
US
I have some pages separated by Page Breaks. When I center the top line of a page, it automatically centers the bottom line of the previous page...

Why is that? Thanks alot Microsoft.

Some of your paragraphs (immediately before Page Breaks) do not have a Return/Enter/paragraph mark.

Since Word stores formatting in the paragraph markers, you need to place paragraph markers immediately before the Page Breaks then apply your alignment formatting.

Sorry but I am not familiar with how to "place paragraph markers immediately before the Page Breaks

Turn on Show/Hide (CTRL+* or by clicking the button that looks like a paragraph symbol on your toolbar)
Look at each Page Break
If there is not a paragraph symbol immediately to the left of the Page Break, move your cursor immediately to the Left of the Page Break and hit ENTER
After adding paragraph symbols where needed, then fix your centering.

I now understand what you were getting at. You meant a Carriage Return or a Hard Return. I had already figured that out as a work around, and I was hoping for a more airtight solution. If my page was filled with text and I had no room for a line break then I would be flat out of luck.

I certainly don't know of an "automatic" solution. Wish Word would suppress "Hard Returns" that fall at a page break--WordPerfect does :) Also, wish the Hard Return would be suppressed at the top of the page when a Table follows a Page Break!

The only other thing I've done when one or two lines of text jump to the next page when the Page Break is inserted, is change the line height (minutely) on one+ paragraph(s) above that particular Page Break.

I'll be interested to see if anyone else has THE ANSWER!

I don't know about "the answer" [wink] but where it's a document that I've full control (ie it's not being used by a user somewhere) I change the font size of the offending extra line to 1.

It's also good for keeping a document down the right number of pages when a table is right on the margin.

HTH
BerylM

This is why I've always liked Wordperfect better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back