Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word keeps causing blue screens of death

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubletoker

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
Software being used:
Microsoft Office 2000 /Word with both sp1 and sp2
Windows 98 second edition with latest patches
McAfee Viruscan 4.5.1 with sp1
Netware Client v3.3
Internet Explorer 5.5 with latest patches
A serial emulator
Groupwise 5.5

Hardware:
Most are HP Vectra VL 5/266 or above (Multiple Machines in multiple sites).
Built-in Video card
32 Meg Ram
CD-ROM

Issue:
When users are in word they are getting the blue screen constantly. Most of the time it is when they are trying to print to a network printer HP LaserJet 4000 using envelopes.

Steps Taken:
Formatted hard drive and reinstalled all applications and service packs. Ran dsrepair and vrepair on server. Removed the print server, print queue, and printer object from the Netware 5.1 server. Replaced jetdirect card in printer and recreated printer objects. Removed any unused or not needed applications from bootup/startup. This is happening in several different sites and on several different types/speed of machines. Updated the bios on the jetdirect cards and on the workstations.

And....knowing Mcafee as I do.....have you uninstalled the anti-virus software and tested? I think that would be interesting.

I forgot to ask....what is the exact wording of the BSOD...?

We have uninstalled/reinstalled and removed McAfee and still getting problems. I will find out exactly the message they are getting but not sure what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back