Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Form Preview Issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xplo5iv

Technical User
Jan 5, 2005
GB
I've created a form in Word 2003, significant quantities of it are bookmarked text which is hidden/ unhidden by means of form check boxes changing the font to hidden. (This works fine) There are also a number of form text boxes, and one (continuous break) section in the middle which is unprotected.

It all works well except for one problem - Print Preview. as you scroll down it skips most of the pages, and then gets stuck on the bottom one, unable to scroll back up.

I've re-created the problem on a separate form without all the above features, and am beginning to think that word does not handle forms properly for print preview.

Can anyone help? Or is it a 'feature'?!

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

ps I'm reasonably ok regarding vba, access & excel, but a bit flaky at the vagaries of Word...

It is a feature. To use forms fully, a document must be protected for forms. When a document is protected for forms, there is no user input/changes allowed in the protected sections.

Ergo (from Microsoft POV), if there is no user input/changes, then it does not show those parts.

Actually, that is not fair. The real reason is seeing stuff on sceen; and particularly being able to scroll and move the cursor into that section. Simply put, you can not, because those sections ARE protected and that means the Selection (cursor) is NOT allowed there.

Thus, this is a feature.

"A little piece of heaven
without that awkward dying part."

advertisment for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (a chocolate/peanut butter confection)

Gerry

Thanks, that's saved me from spending even more time trying to fix the problem.

Workarounds here we come...

Hi xplo5iv,

A better solution might be to use bookmarks to insert the optional data into. That way, there shouldn't need to be any blank/empty pages or preview problems.

Cheers
[MS MVP - Word]

Exactly. It is question of design.

Formfields are for user input. To work, the document must be protected for forms. This has two effects.

1. All areas (i.e. Sections) protected will only allow access to the formfields.

2. If there is a page (say) in that Sections that does not have a formfield in it, then ergo, you will never be able to go onto that page.

Actually, this is one effect. They are basically the same thing.

So...if the users are not REALLY going to input things directly into the document, and be able to change that input (formfields are changeable by the user), then - especially if you have more than four or five items - often a userform is better.

That is somewhat a digression from the original question though. If what you have is bookmarked text and the visibility (using Hidden) is determined by the True/False value of checkbox formfields, then perhaps some judicious use of Continuous section breaks may solve the problem.

If the user input is input on a userform, there are some advantages.

1. you can error trap user input much easier!
2. the output (once validated of course) can simply be inserted into bookmarks, rather than formfields.

advertisment for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (a chocolate/peanut butter confection)

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Another way would be to use IF fields to control the display of the variable text. If one is using formfields (except for checkbox formfields), this can even be done without vba.

Cheers
[MS MVP - Word]

Thanks everyone, lots of useful stuff there. I've got a version that works, using a custom 'preview' button, but I'll explore the other options too.

Thanks for your help

Jonathan

RE: IF fields. Yes, true.
If one is using formfields (except for checkbox formfields), this can even be done without vba.
Except the OP stated they are using checkbox formfields.

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Actually, the OP said:
form check boxes
which could mean either userform checkboxes or checkbox formfields. Replacing any checkbox formfields with dropdown formfields that perform the same function would suffice for a non-vba solution.

Cheers
[MS MVP - Word]

Touche.

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back