Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[WORD] first figure starts at #2 intead of #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpeliam

Programmer
Mar 17, 2000
US
I've inserted a picture into a word document and assigned a caption to it. It's the first picture in the document. The number formatting for the caption is "1, 2, 3, ..." and the label is "Figure". The caption text in the Caption dialog box says "Figure 1", but when I after I press "OK" to insert the caption, the caption underneath the picture says "Figure 2". I have no idea why it's not saying "Figure 1". Any hints or ideas?

Liam Morley
Software Engineer
"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.
light the world, and bring depth to the silence.

Is there anything above the picture that has a Figure caption? A table or something?

If not, try selecting the caption and R-click to Update Field.

thanks very much, updating the fields resets them properly.

it turns out that this seems to happen whenever you have a picture or anything that has text wrapping set to 'square' or any of the other wrap settings. rather frustrating.

unfortunately updating one picture doesn't update them all- is there anyway to update all fields simultaneously? otherwise i'll just update them all when i'm done inserting the last one.

Liam Morley
Software Engineer
"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.
light the world, and bring depth to the silence.

Built-in Help says you can Ctrl+A to select the entire doc and then right-click, but when I Ctrl+A everything EXCEPT the captions is selected, so no joy.

You can Tools > Options Print tab and tick Update Fields to force it to update at print time. I just tested this and to avoid wasting paper I printed to PDF and it worked - captions updated in my doc onscreen.

By the way, I was unable to replicate your problem of the Square setting causing captions to not auto-update.

For testing, I had to move graphics in order to get the caption numbers out of sequence.

I'm using Word 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back