Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word / Excel hanging when opening files from Sharepoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfrizelle

Programmer
Jan 15, 2004
IE
Hi,

We're using SPS 2003, and in the last few days it has started hanging when I try to open Word / Excel files from the site - not all files, though; here's the difference :

When I click on a file and get the message box with the title 'File Download', in the format

>>>>>>>>>>
Some files can harm your computer, etc.

File Name : xxx.doc
File Type : Microsoft Word Document

Would you like to open the file or save it to your computer?

Buttons : Open, Save, Cancel, More Info
<<<<<<<<<<
it opens fine.

However, when I get the shorter version of the message, with title "Microsoft Internet Explorer" as follows :

>>>>>>>>>>
Some files can harm your computer, etc.

You are opening the following file :
File Name : xxx.doc

Buttons : Ok, Cancel
<<<<<<<<<<
if I click Ok, it begins to launch Word and then hangs while the Open message box image is flitting its pages from the server to Word.

Also, if I try to open these file directly from Windows Explorer, it also hangs - but here's the really weird thing: if I go into Sharepoint using Firefox, it will open everything I ask it to.

Any ideas why it's happening, and how I can sort it?

Thanks a lot,
Jennie.

Is this all on the same computer?
Are these files located in Document libaries or other?
What version of IE?
What version of Office?
What version of windows?

Hi,

Not all on the same computer - the files I'm trying to open are on the SharePoint server and I'm trying to open them from my own machine.

Yes, they are all located document libraries - various different doc libs, within

IE Version 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.050301-1526

Office 2003

Windows 2003 Server on the SharePoint server, Windows XP Professional on my own machine.

And guess what? I've just tried opening a few files, and every single one opened without fail. No idea why - if I find out though I'll post the answer here. Anyone come across this before??

But thanks for your reply!
J.

Hello,

I have seen this problem before, but with visio . On some machines I had to re-install the SharePoint support tools in the office installation to sort it out. Also seen it on some occasions with word, but it helped by reinstalling the sharepoint support tools in the office installation.

The visio problem got solved on some machines, but on others it did not work, but that had to do with a Servicepack edition and some other patches that the person had applied.

Regards,
Thomas

...and this morning, it's back to hanging again. Nothing has changed, either on the server or on my own machine.

What's going on??

Rgds,
J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back