Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word error

Status
Not open for further replies.

BetB

Technical User
Mar 12, 2002
GB
Whenever I leave Word on the screen (either blank or in a document) for a long time unattended, say, one hour, when I return and want to save this document or any that I may subsequently make, a RUNTIME error comes up and I have to close down. This happens EVERY time if the PC is left on and left for any period. Can anyone tell me how I can stop this happening and what is causing the problem? Many thanks in advance

What's the exact error message and number? What is your OS and Word version?

My first instinct would be to check my screen saver settings.
Could also be your Word being corrupted, in THAT case, easiest solution would be reinstall.

Thank you, Sylve. Since running MSFIG and altering some of the start-up programms, the fault seems to have righted itself. I have no screensaver, have Word 2000 and Windows ME. What is OS? Should the fault come back, I hope you won't mind me coming back to you.

Thank you, Sylve. Since running MSCONFIG and altering some of the start-up programms, the fault seems to have righted itself. I have no screensaver, have Word 2000 and Windows ME. What is OS? Should the fault come back, I hope you won't mind me coming back to you.

The fault has returned when closing a document immediately after producing it. Under Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library it reads "Program C\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\WINWORD.EXE. Abnormal program termination". I then have to close down word. Any hope of a cure? Many thanks.

I am not a programmer but I hope this might help. I ran into a similar problem once. I think I was running win 95 or 98 but it has been a while. It seems that Word was set to auto-save the document every once in a while and for some reason once it tried to autosave an error occurred where I would no longer be able to save or close Word normally. This sounds like your problem. It seemed to help temporarily to turn off the autosave feature. In office 2000 you would got to Tools, OPtions, click on the save tab and uncheck "background saves" and "save autorecover". If that fails the root of my prioblem was corruption within WOrd so a reinstall will probably fix it. Hope that helps!

I haven't yet followed your last suggestion as I shouldn't like to lose the autorecover facility but the following message has now appeared "Winword has caused an error WKWDADDA.DLL Winword will now close". Again this is when Word has been left on the screen for some time unattended, I have tried to save a document and up comes this error message and I lose what work I've done. Any more suggestions on this please? Many thanks.

This is usually caused by a third party add-in that is incompatible with your version of Word. Typically it can be virtually anything by Symantec (WinFax, NAV, etc) or Adobe.

To test the theory, start Word in Safe Mode. From Start, Run type in

winword /a

and press enter. Word will start up bypassing all add-in and customisations so that it is in its default install mode. Test Word now by creating a short document, save it and exit. Is that OK? If so, look for add-ins, macros and custom templates from other applications.

Regards: tf1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back