Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WORD Document from PC to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDM2005

Technical User
Feb 8, 2005
US
How can I keep my formatting intact on a form that I create in WORD, even when I e-mail it to a colleague?

I have just e-mailed a document and pages are shifting, spacing added, etc...

Help!

~Thanks~

Hi KDM2005,

It rather depends on what the formatting is (probably also depends on your e-mail client - and the recipient's). Try sending in RTF or HTML format - or, to be safe, send the document as an attachment.

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

What would you suggest if the users being sent the document need to fill-out the document because it is a form?

I have just tried sending it attachment and the format shifts.

Thanks.

Hi KDM2005,

If the format of a document changes when it is opened on a different computer there are two possible reasons I know of. One is the printer (and you have no control over this although you could minimise the likelihood of it by choosing 'safe' settings and layouts); the other is the template.

Every document has an 'attached' template (attached by name only) - by default, normal.dot - and Word will open the template with the document if it can find it. When you send a document to someone without its template Word will use the version of the template on the other person's computer and that may have different settings which can affect formatting. You can mitigate some of the effects by good use of styles in the document or you can send the template with the document. The first place Word looks for a template (other than normal.dot) is in the same directory as the document it is opening but this doesn't extend as far as inside the same zipped file so you would need a certain rigour in behaviour on the part of your recipient(s).

If you are sending out a form to be filled in and returned, when it is returned you should see it in your original format even if that wasn't exactly what the other person saw. Or, if it is to be printed and filled in on paper you might consider sending it as a PDF.

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back