Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Document Cannot Complete Save

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpreda

Technical User
Mar 21, 2003
US
I have a workstation with Windows NT, we are using Microsoft Word. I was working on a particular document and saving it to my A drive on a disk and it suddenly started giving me an error stating that the Word document cannot complete the save due to a file permission error. This document has not been saved on anything other than the disk. The only thing that seems to work is to re-name the document and save it, however the next time I try to save it I receive the error and must re-name and save the document again. Any suggestions?

Floppy disk/drive ok? No issues copying in explorer?

No issues saving to hard drive? Virus checked?

PS. Why are you writing to floppy from Word? (I ask, as I would never do this. If I need to copy to floppy to transport the file, I always use explorer/other file manager. Floppies are not reliable media).

The floppy is fine, I do not have issues copying to explorer, no issues copying to the hard drive and I do not have a virus. I was writing to a floppy (unreliable as it may be) because this is an older work station and that is all that it has to offer. Normally I would not do this either, however we work with what we are given. It is an error that I am not familiar with and am interested in the cause of it and correcting it.

I've not seen this behaviour (nearest is that macro virus that forces you to always save as in Word - but that's for all files). Can you save to floppy from other apps (eg, notepad)? What happens if you try to save the same version (ie, no changes made)? As it works to another name and in explorer, presume the write protect tab is not in place on the floppy.

You say you rename it - then it will save. In explorer? So, you're renaming the original file? (Odd - because when word has a file open you can't normally do this). Are there any Word temporary files on the floppy (just wondering if there's a corrupt one that keeps getting picked up)? If so, remove them.

did you find out what the problem is/was? I'm having the same problem on some of my NT workstations.

I had this problem but didn't find a definite solution. The only thing to do was save it to the local disk or a network drive and then copy it to the floppy via explorer.

I tried all sorts like updating NT service packs, installing Office service packs, checking permissions etc but there doesn't seem to be an obvious solution.

Glad to know that I am not alone with this one. I haven't had a problem since on any other PC. Thank you all for your advice.

Stop bashing floppies... they serve their purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back