Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word: Disappearing picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

soldierdackel

Programmer
Jun 8, 2004
DK
Hi,

Hope anyone can help me out on this one.

A friend of mine has a problem when inserting pictures in tables in Word. Inserting itself works fine, but if he scrolls the document so that the picture (or some of it) goes underneath the toolbars and then scrolls back, then the part of the picture that went out of sight has vanished! All you see is the white background. The part of the picture that was visible all the time because it wasn't scrolled underneath the toolbars, is still visible.

He runs Office XP Pro with FrontPage and he has tried it with two different Office CDs (same problem). OS is Windows XP with SP2. Removing SP2 actually solves the problem! But of course that's not a real solution.

The machine has just been formatted and reinstalled which didn't help.

He uses original software that came along with the machine when he bought it.

Cheers,
Lars

What happens when you pull the half picture back into view then minimize and then re-maximize your screen? I am guessing that the picture reappears in total. If so, you may want to make sure your graphics drivers are updated and/or add some memory (RAM) to the computer. IMO, further research of this problem should be in the operating system area concerning graphics management. I don't think it is an MS Office problem. I suspect by reading your post that you were coming to that realization but thought my reply may be helpful.

rags

Hi rags and thanks,

You don't even have to minimize/maximize. Just clicking on the image causes the rest of it to be displayed.

I'll try to get the graphics driver updated because it seems to have something to do with updating the screen. I don't believe the amount of RAM to be a problem, but of course I'll check it.

What puzzles me though is that uninstalling XP SP2 removes the problem.

Cheers,
Lars

I had similar problems. Latest graphics driver corrected it.

I had the same problem with Word 2003/Windows XP and I had to do the following...

Start > Control Panel > Display
Settings tab
Advanced button
Troubleshoot tab
Move the Hardware acceleration setting down a notch
OK
OK

Note: I had to notch mine down several times before my pictures displayed correctly when scrolling.

It will do that every time I paste a pic. The whole image disappears with a little "x" like it's a broken image on a webpage. Usually Microsoft carries over the same old bugs from existing versions but this one they created especial just for 2003. Bleh.

I haven't had a chance go to my friend's place yet, but I've advised him to update his graphics driver to begin with.

jollyreaper:
This problem is not quite the same as it's not necessarily the whole picture that disappears. And no 'x' is shown.

dcompto:
That might work, but that's not really a solution, is it? The machinery should be able to deal with full acceleration.

Thanks all,
Lars

All I know is that it fixed my problem with pictures disappearing when I scrolled the document.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back