Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Cross Reference to Bookmark 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnd3

Instructor
Jul 1, 2001
US
I have a long document in Word 2010 with various footers that need to change based on a name put in one of the headers in the document. So I inserted a bookmark for the text in the header and then inserted cross reference to the bookmark in all the various footers(different sections). Anyway, I was testing it out and when I change the bookmark text and select the whole document and hit f9 it does not update the footers. I have to go into each section's footer and click in the field and hit f9. Is there a way to make this easier? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you,

Dawn

Also, when I edit the text in the bookmark, I have to highlight the text and re-insert the bookmarks. I am clearly doing something wrong.

Instead of using bookmarks, assign a unique character Style or paragraph Style to the range containing the data you want to appear in the headers/footers. Then insert a STYLEREF field in the header/footer referencing that Style. With this approach, the headers/footers will update in real time.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Thanks Mintjulip, I did finally figure out how to get it to update on print. Paul, I will try that approach too.

Paul, I will try that approach too.
Do. You'll find it far more convenient than using bookmarks & having to update them.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back