Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Crashing -- Queer Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lblack

Programmer
Mar 25, 1999
IE
We've recently developed a queer problem here. In essence, this is what happens:<br>
<br>
People are motoring away at their word documents, when they happen to close one of them and Word just kaputz. Illegal operation (I know you've all seen the dialog box, no need to describe).<br>
<br>
This is not 100%, this is a random occurrence on random machines to which no solution has been found.<br>
<br>
Also, when Word crashes, a copy of Winword runs in the background -- completely the background, can't even access it. Towards the end of the day I've seen PCs with 5-6 copies of this, all tying up the normal.dot.<br>
<br>
It's a bit of a nightmare. We were hit sort of heavily by Ethan and to a lesser extent by Marker. (We dodged the bullet on Melissa, though). The files have all been repaired or replaced, though, and even with a brand spankin' new normal.dot this is still occurring.<br>
<br>
To further eliminate viruses, we literally update our scanner twice a day... they just don't seem to be a possibility.<br>
<br>
Any ideas?<br>

The Ethan virus leaves corruption in word Doc's even after they have been cleaned. <br>
<br>
See if it is specific doc's that cause the illegal op. <br>
If it is:<br>
<br>
Copy a clean Normal.dot to the machine. <br>
Open the corrupt doc. <br>
Open a new doc. <br>
Copy the contents of the corrupt doc to the new doc and save new doc.<br>
This will give you a clean copy of the original document.<br>
Do this for every doc that causes an illegal op.<br>
<br>
hope this helps.<br>

We were hit with the wm8 virus pretty bad. And even though our machines were cleaned, we kept encountering the same problems and again got re-infected. <br>
<br>
Try this:<br>
<br>
run virus scan<br>
search for normal.dot and delete it<br>
search for class.sys and delete it<br>
delete files under program\computer\innocutit\virus<br>
(depending on the directory structure you have) <br>
delete all files in c:\windows\temp directory<br>
rerun virus scan<br>
<br>
This was the only way to clean and stay clean that we found. Just running the virus program was not enough. Good luck.

It takes a little extra time, but a good rule of thumb is to reboot your system after Word crashes -- espcecially after a couple of times. Another good practice I've read about is to open Word before any other apps. I always try to do this, but I can't say it's been a home run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back