Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word could not reestablish a DDE connection to excel to complete this

Status
Not open for further replies.

pr2270

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2001
US
Hello,

I am trying to do a mail merge today and I am getting a message that says ' Word could not reestablish a DDE connection to excel to complete this task"

Since I need to send out acknowledgement letters, it is very important that I get this fixed.

Thanks

Hi,

What happens in the type of merge you are explaining is that a Word document is linked to an excel spreadsheet to retrieve it's information. So typically, one of two things has happened:

A) You moved or removed the excel file for it's original location.

B) You have taken out the column headers to designate what each column contains. It's likely that you have prolly done this. I have a user that tends to do it all of the time. To get it to recognize the excel file again, insert row 1 and put in column headers that are likely. Save the excel file. Re-open the word merge document and it should at least now open. Look for all the field places, they will be designated with &quot;<<>>&quot; Make sure the field names match the column headers. If they do, merge away. If they don't, exit the Word document without saving changes, open your excel spreadsheet and correct the column names. One tip to remember, if the column name you want is &quot;Last Name&quot;, in the merge file it will appear as &quot;<<Last_Name>>&quot;...the &quot;_&quot; signifies the space.

Good luck.

Smiles...Shearbec

pr2270,

You didn't state what version of Word you were using, but try these links in your browser for the error message you stated above:
mskb Q113705
mskb Q196952
mskb Q198299

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back