Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word- Chapters, Headers and page numbering

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcdaveh

Technical User
Sep 26, 2000
US
I'm trying to set up a document that has Chapter numbers in the headers. I want the chapter numbers to change after that section ends and keep the page numbering continuous. I've tried and failed. What to do? Example of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Title page

page break

Table of contents

page break

Chapter 1
n number of pages

section break

Chapter 2
n number of pages continuing from chapter 1
section break

Chapter 3

Should be straightforward. You get the option when starting a new section of carrying on page numbering or starting again. Look at the format page number option on the little menu bar that pops up when you're in header and footer view.

Mike Grantham

In addition to setting the page number to be continuous, if you want the Chapter # to change, just edit the header for that section. The toolbar button for "same as previous" needs to be 'unchecked' so that you can edit the chapter #.

If you don't want the header to be on your title page or toc, set the page setup to have "different first page".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back