Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 97 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

turner1

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2002
US
Please can someone tell me how to remove a line that has been inserted in Word through typing in 3 dashes and hitting return. This issue is causing me a significant amount of time. Thanks

I have not heard of this before (I have Word 97 and it doesn't do what you state). Nevertheless, click on SHOW/HIDE (reverse P on your toolbar). The line will be may be anchored.

Delete the carriage return character that the line is anchored to and the line should disappear.

This should also work if the line is text (rather than a picture).

Check out Tools->AutoCorrect. Three dashes may be changing because of a setting there.

Dave

It's a border.

Select the paragraphs around the line.
Choose Borders and shading from the Format menu.
Click on the None icon (top left hand corner).
Click on OK.

If the line keeps moving to other paragraphs then do the same for that paragraph (or even select the entire document and do it).

The border was inserted because of the following setting:
Tools - Autocorrect - AutoFormat as you type - Borders checkbox contained a tick.

Donna
IT@BDW

Of course it is! Donna6197 - a star for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back