Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 97 slows down when i print.. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jofet

MIS
Sep 3, 1999
PH
Response from Word is slow when i print (any Document), i cannot make a new document right a way when i am printing, i tried to check/uncheck background printing but still same.<br>
I have enough memory in my PC, would it be a printer problem? <br>
THanks... <br>
<br>
jyt

I was thinking it could be a spooling issue, do you have this problem printing in other programs?

Thanks jsauce; <br>
Yes, same with the others and sometimes when i print using Word an error message comes out-'virtual ...error', this happens when i try to print another Doc while the printer is still printing.

Check your *.VXDs. I've corrected the same problem on several systems by re-installing the printer drivers. Always Hewlett-Packard, by the way.

Sounds like a logical option, but I've had problems with HP. They love providing tech support for just a small $29.95 fee. Don't you just love those guys.

What about the *.VXD's? I already tried to reinstall the driver.<br>
thanks.

I uninstall the HP driver and then reinstall it again, and unchecked the background printing 'again' and i think its fine now, response is a bit faster than before, ...just dont know about the 'virtual' error yet. <br>
Anyway thanks.<br>

Sounds like a memory and/or drivespace shortage. If your hard drive is choked up Windows may be running short of virtual memory. Additional ram also would help since that would reduce your system's reliance on virtual memory. Try deleting any .chk files, clear your browser cache, delete tmp files, and run defrag. If the system responds better after that, you are on the right track. Also, if you have more than one drive, make sure the one with the most free space is being used for virtual memory.

I don't have an answer...but can provide some input....I have the same problem with my syste.....Word97 chokes on _any_ printing task: my OS is Win95, printer is a Canon BJC-210, Processor is PI-100, RAM is 40MB & swap file is 100MBs.<br>
Seriously doubt that it's a RAM, virtual memory, or printer problem....so I guess now we're looking at drivers & Word97....what other apps are causing problems for you???<br>
<br>
<br>
-Robherc<br>
robherc@netzero.net

I've run into this a lot . First, do a scandisk and defrag. Then, (assuming you're using 95/98) go into the control panel and check out the virtual memory settings. Even though you may physically have 128 MB of RAM, if your hard drive is full, it won't matter. This should fix the problem - it's time to get worried whenit's only ONE application that's slowing up - this one tells you it's a system problem. Good Luck

Try, in printer settings, to change your spooler settings to print after last page is spooled. <br>
<br>
blake

Thanks for the idea Blake; but I've already tried that....any more ideas??? <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

There's lots of good advice on this post. ONly thing I haven't seen mentioned is that you might consider setting a minumum size for your Windows swap file. Win95 dynamically allocates the swap file which could cost some administrative time when it's trying to do something. If you set a minimum size (at least 80 or 100M, if you've got it), Win 95 doesn't have to do any reallocation and it gets to look at 80 or 100M of contiguous disk.<br>
<br>
Right-click on My Computer, click properties, and press the Virtual Memory button.

Thanks for the tip....I hadn't tired that one yet, but it makes a *LOT* of sense....I might add that you'd want to run defrag first to make sure the space is contiguous. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back