Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 97 file display prob!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reepa

Technical User
Nov 13, 2000
GB
Hi all
When i open word 97 and click either file open or the open file icon on the toolbar all folder name are diplayed with square boxes next to them instead of the folder names, if i attempt to open one of the folders i get an I/O 6 error, if i go to tools/options and file locations and change the location and then click ok, the problem disapears untill the next time i open word. I have removed and reinstalled word (which is running SP2)

Any ideas???[mad] or >:-<

Dude:

Sounds like the Registry is confused. When you go to tools / options / file locations and change the location, you're correcting the problem 'on the fly', which is only good for that session, when you reopen Word it's looking to the Registry for the default location and can't find it.

That's probably why you get a 'generic' representation of the folders. Registry corruption could be the cause but I don't know how or why this could have happened.

You could try Regclean, a free MS utiltiy that looks for orphaned links in the Reg and cleans them up. It makes an undo file in case you don't like what it did and it's easily found via a web search.

rev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back