Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 97 - Automatic correction

Status
Not open for further replies.

congelator

Instructor
Nov 10, 2002
CH
Hi everybody !
First, sorry but my menus are in French... and I'll do my best to translate them !
I have a file with more than 200 words to enter in the "automatic correction" (Tools and 5th possibility) for ex : when I type "hi" that's automatically replaced by "Hello my friends". Is there any possibility to do that in one time, opening a file and doing a copy and paste instead of typing each word by word...??? I hope so ;-)

Thanks for any solution. Ced
Lausanne / Switzerland

Not sure I understand what the problem is? You have already set up the "Auto Correct" (so when you type 'Hi' it changes'). Now you want a different computer to have the same auto correct list without having to enter it manually?

Do I have it? Leslie
landrews@metrocourt.state.nm.us

There are 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary
and
those who don't!

No...I think what they're asking is...is there a way to "batch load" autocorrect; i.e. feed it a file of changes rather than manually enter each change out of his list of 200 or so.

I think what congelator wants to do is be able to add items to the AutoCorrect list without having to do them one at a time.

If there is a way I haven't found it. The auto correct list file has the extension of ACL if your want to "play" with the file and try something in there. Don't forget to create a copy of the file before you do anything to it. Odds would have it that if you change the file using something other than the Office environment, it will corrupt the usability of the file in Office.

Good luck. Mike
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Hi everybody,

mbarron is right. One of my colleague have a list of more then 200 words which are used in his autocorrect. As he works on differents computers he always has to type them one by one. So I'm seaching a solution to add these words in the autocorrect list on each computer without having to do them one at a time, even by making a copy & paste.

Now I will search .acl file and try... I will tell you if it works

Thanks to all of you Ced
Lausanne / Switzerland

try replacing the normal.dot on the pc which has he wants the entries to go on from a pc that has them all in. Don't forget that this will also bring across any other settings that he has for his global template. I've found that one of my users is constantly losing her autocorrect so I have a copy of her normal.dot and when I copy it onto her machine, hey presto, all her autocorrect is back.

Hi Ced,

I haven't done this but it should be possible to write some code to extract them from the AutoCorrect Entries collection and write them to a text file which you could then read in on another machine and add them to the collection there, something along the lines of:

On computer one:

Code:
Dim e As AutoCorrectEntry
For Each e In AutoCorrect.Entries
Code:
' Write them out here
Code:
Next

and then on computer two:

Code:
' For each record in text file
Code: