Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 365: Find/Replace all "/" in a document to make them BOLD 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladyck3

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
US
I'm not sure how to ask this but here it goes. I have Microsoft365 and am editing a document containing, a crochet pattern. Its a data dump from a designer to provide all instructions in a written form to help decipher a chart.

Below is an example showing the data dump:
==============================
B, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, dc, (scbl) x 3, dc, (scbl) x 3, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, dc, (scbl) x 13, dc, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, (scbl) x 7, dc, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, (scbl) x 3, dc, (scbl) x 3, dc, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, dc, (scbl) x 3, dc, (scbl) x 3, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, dc, (scbl) x 7, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, dc, (scbl) x 13, dc, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, (scbl) x 3, dc, (scbl) x 3, dc, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, B
==============================

Now there are multiple instances of the same stitch combination and the dump does not group them, so I am doing this for 301 rows, manually.... below is the edited result of the same row shown above:
===============================
B, * (dc) x 3, scbl, * x 14 / (dc) x 3, scbl, dc, (scbl) x 3, dc, (scbl) x 3, / * (dc) x 3, scbl, * x 2 / (dc) x 3, scbl, dc, (scbl) x 13, dc, scbl, / *(dc) x 3, scbl, * x 2 * / (dc) x 3, (scbl) x 7, dc, scbl, / * (dc) x 3, scbl, * x 6 / (dc) x 3, scbl, (dc) x 3, (scbl) x 3, dc, (scbl) x 3, dc, scbl, / *(dc) x 3, scbl,* x 3 / (dc) x 3, scbl, dc, (scbl) x 3, dc, (scbl) x 3, / *(dc) x 3, scbl, * x 7 / (dc) x 3, scbl, dc, (scbl) x 7, (dc) x 3, scbl, / (dc) x 3, scbl, / (dc) x 3, scbl, dc, (scbl) x 13, dc, scbl, / * (dc) x 3, scbl, * x 2 / (dc) x 3, (scbl) x 3, dc, (scbl) x 3, dc, scbl, / * (dc) x 3, scbl, * x 14 / (dc) x 3, B
=================================

I separated the sections with dashes /
I'm not looking for help in deciphering but I'm kind of far in the process and have decided that when reading the instructions (and my bad eyes) it would be much easier to make BOLD the / marks.

My question is there a find/replace or other function I don't know yet that can simply change any or all dashes to a BOLD format?

If you say VBA I'm going to cry unless I'm provided with the code and how to use or implement it because my knowledge of VBA is MINUS-MINUS-MINUS... .ZERO!

I hope you can help, or lead me in a direction with easy instructions.

Sincerely appreciate your time.
Laurie

All you need for that is a simple Find/Replace, where:
Find = /
Replace = /
And you set the replacement font attribute to bold. You could even change the colour if that aids visibility.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Thank you - strongm - for the video and to - macropod - for the assistance.
The video strongm, showed me all of the extra features that can be selected, that's so AWESOME, I've never gotten that far into using such items for Find/Replace, I always just use it for a word or phrase, after some what... decades of using Word, had NO CLUE these options were part of Find/Replace and macropod your time is also appreciated. I used to use this resource in my past (work life) and for all things like this if you don't use it (retired) you lose it is totally real.

However, all of these extras in the Find/Replace function are totally new to me. WOO HOO! Has that always been there or is it rather new? I'm embarrassed but so happy!!!

Thanks folks, I appreciate you!
Laurie :)

>Replace = /

You don't need to set this when replacing such things as format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back