Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2010, Setting Save as location when saving Outlook Attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinwho

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2008
US
How can I set the Save as location in Word 2010 for when Im saving an Outlook attachment? I know how to change the regular save as location in Options in Word 2010 but when I have a Word attachment from Outlook it always defaults to the Documents folder. I need it to default to a network location. Thoughts?

This is an interesting question. I found that there is no way within Outlook to control this and you need to make a registry change. After doing a quick Google search I found something for 2003, not sure if it would apply to any later versions.

thanks for the reply mltoombs. I think i saw the same reg fix and i tried it but it only changes the save as location for when you right-click the attachment and choose save as. If you actually open the attachment and click File\Save as it goes back to the default Documents folder. Dont know if there is a solution....

If you open an email attachment, your email client opens it in a temporary folder. Word has no control over that. The same goes for every other application you might use to open email attachments. If you want to work on an email attachment, save it to a new location first.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Thank you Paul. I will keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back