Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2010 not keeping source formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnd3

Instructor
Jul 1, 2001
US
Help! I am copying/pasting formatted text from one document to another and it doesn't keep the exact formatting. (it keeps some but things like the bullets change.) I have tried everything. I use paste special of course and I have checked all the copy/paste settings under word options. I've copied with paragraph marker, without paragraph marker, with section marker, without, everything. What else can I try. I want to be able to quickly insert documents into a main document often and having to mess with formatting is taking too much time.

Thanks for any tips.

Dawn

Looks like just the bullets change. In source document they are round bullets and in working document they are square ones. The font is the same between documents.

Dawn

Have you checked the settings you're using for Word's paste options, under File|Options|Advanced>Cut, Copy & Paste?

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

And what are those settings?

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Given your settings, the only thing I can think of that might cause bullet formats to change is that the two documents have different configurations for list bullets. You might try checking the 'Use Smart and paste' option to see if that makes a difference. Of course, these problems could be avoided, or at least minimised, if the documents used the same Style definitions and creators of both documents actually used those Styles instead of overriding them with direct formatting.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Thanks Paul. I will let you know how it goes. I probably won't work on this again till Monday/Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back