Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2010 Heading and Table Numbering 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

routerman

Technical User
Jul 15, 2002
GB
Having got an understanding of heading numbering I want to see if the following can be done?

My document has numbered headings for each section. Within certain sections I have a series of tables. Each table has a numbered title and numbered sections.

Currently I used word numbering for the section headings (ToC) and table descriptions, that works fine. However I manually enter all the numbered titles and entries that appear in the body of the table.

Can I auto number these lines as well? One concern is that the heading mybe number 5, the first table under this heading is table 1 and line entries in the actual table would be 1.1, 1.2 etc.

Reason is I may need to add another table earlier on in the document which means a lot of manual updating!

When you say "table" do you mean a table with rows and columns and cells?

Yes that is correct.

I want to be able to auto number headings or whatever within that table. So column one would contain a few numbered entries, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 etc and these to update to 3.x if I add an extra table before this one in the document.

Andy

Finally, the answer is YES!!

After much reading and experimentation I found an excellent website by Shauna Kelly that describes this and other fiddly word issues in a lot of easy to follow detail.

The URL for the numbering section I used is:

I'm at totally home fixing complex IP network issues but MS Word leaves me feeling cold and impotent. Thanks to people like this for taking the time to show the rest of us how its done!

Andy

Thanks for letting the rest of us know. [bigears]

As the article says, Word has a very peculiar numbering system. One that seems based on a belief that there is no intelligent life outside of Microsoft.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Crystal 2008 with SQL and Windows XP [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back