Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2003 - using font size > 72?? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRBFAN

Programmer
Jun 1, 2006
US
Using Windows XP and Word 2003. I am trying to create a landscape document that only has a phone number for a visually handicapped person. The largest font I see is 72 which isn't quite large enough. Is there a way to use larger sized fonts? If so, how?? Thanks.

In the Font Size box enter ANY number you want.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Go to Format, Font and type the desired number in the Size box

Canadian eh! Check out the new social forum Tek-Tips in Canada.
I should live a long time - I eat a lot of preservatives.

xlhelp said:
Go to Format, Font and type the desired number in the Size box

....take a course to learn to type faster

Canadian eh! Check out the new social forum Tek-Tips in Canada.
I should live a long time - I eat a lot of preservatives.

Thank you both. Turns out that entering a larger font in the font size box only works if you press ENTER. In Format/Font I entered the desired font and it was obvious I had to select OK for it to work. Thanks again.

It's the "press ENTER" part that makes it happen.

--
JP

72 is the biggest it can go in Word when selecting from the font drop down list.

However, you can type in any size you want from 1 to 1638 points - probably way larger than you will ever need seeing as the maximum page size is limited to 24 inches.

Shortcuts for growing/shrinking fonts are (with the text selected):

Ctrl+[ = increase in 1 pt increments
Ctrl+] = shrink in 1 pt increments

Ctrl+Shift+> = grow in increments as listed in the font drop down list, thereafter by 10pt increments
Ctrl+Shift+< - shrink as above

Ctrl+[ or ] are particularly useful when micro-fitting a word or title to fill a given space.

Regards: Terry

Thank you Terry. That was also very helpful. Are those/other shortcuts documented somewhere?

I just need to correct a slip of the fingers. The maximum page size in Word is 22" x 22" and not 24" as originally posted.

FWIW, you may not be able to select that page size because Word can only use sizes compatible with the active (default) printer selected at the time. But you can temporarily select a different printer or use the XPS printer to use dimensions up to the limit.

Regards: Terry

I also thank you Terry. I often print notes on 3"X5" cards and want to maximize the note to fit the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back