Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2003 Templates for all

Status
Not open for further replies.

emjay653

Technical User
Mar 11, 2004
GB
Hi,

I'm trying to create two custom templates that are available to all users. Now I tried putting them in a folder belowC:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates, and changing the workgroup location to point to this location, which worked for that particular user.

However, when I log in as another user, it has went back to it's default settings.

How can I make these templates available to all users that log in, without them having to change any settings in Word.

It's Word 2003 on XP.

Cheers
MJ

Put them in

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Templates

Tried putting them in there, but when I click on File, New they don't appear.

Have you tried going into Word - Tools / options / File Locations and modifying user templates?

then they should appear in File / New

Have you tried going into Word - Tools / options / File Locations and modifying "user templates" to point to the location of your templates?

then they should appear in File / New

I've tried that, but that is also a per user setting, which would mean every user that used the machine would need to do this.

What I'm looking for could almost be classed as a machine setting, as I need the template to be available to every user who uses the machine without any intervention from IT.

Loadable templates are by user.

If you want this template to be machine available, regardless of user, load it as a GLOBAL template.

Gerry

What you are tring to do is impossible. Group shared templates need to be in a Group Folder. This can be anywhere the everyone can see - usually on a domain server.

But everyone's installation of Word needs to have the Tools, Options, File Locations, Group Templates set to point at that folder.

Surely you can simply email all users and give them really simple step-by-step instructions on how to change the Group Templates settings?

Regards: tf1

Thought that might be the answer. I'll use policies to put it on their desktops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back