Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2003: overlap page footer with body

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyrocks

Technical User
Nov 16, 2006
US
For reasons explained in another thread, I need to overlap the page footer with the page body. I tried setting the page margin to something very low (0.5cm) and set the footer to start 3.2cm from the edge. Seems to me, that would cause the two to overlap. Any ideas? Thanks,

dylan

Could you explain why you want to do this? Is this for just one page? A number of pages?

It seems a very odd thing to do. So many things could happen that may adjust things and BOOM!, your arrangement would crumble. Can you guarantee that the table end would always be at the end of the page?

Also, please try and be accurate in your post descriptions.
For reasons explained in another thread, I need to overlap the page footer with the page body.
No. That is not accurate. From your other post, you are trying to match a table IN the footer to a table IN the document. This is very very specifc.

If you are trying to get a top line of the table in the footer to be lying exactly on the bottom line of the table in the document...forget it. I do not think you will be able to do so. You can get it very very close though.

Footers are in a separate part of the document. Increasing the start of the footer will simply push the document body text upwards. That wee difference of space between them will remain the same.

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

The other thread was more about finding any workaround for the general problem of not being able to create a 'table footer' in the same way you can create a table header. Here, I have one possible workaround I need further help on- overlapping the footer with the body.

You're correct: what I have tried is creating a table inside the page footer section that contains the information I want repeated on each page. The problem is exactly as you anticipated, I can't get the footer-section table to match the body. I added an extra row that will have the correct border, but remain empty. That way, I don't have to get the last row in the body-table to exactly match the footer-table. It just needs to be in the ball park.

Here's a screenshot to help clarify:
footer_gap.jpg

The lighter gray is the footnote-table. The gap distance fluctuates anywhere from just shy of 1 row width to almost nothing. I was hoping to find a way to completely overlap the two sections in all cases. But it sounds like that possibility has been intentionally programmed against by Microsoft, I suspect because almost no one would really want the two to overlap.

This would be for tables 30 to 100 pages long. Also, the last page isn't a concern really, I could just remove the footer for the last page and append the information to the actual body-table. I do realize how finicky of a solution this is, but if you had to fill in these tables, you would understand why a solution as finicky as this would still be an improvement. Thanks!

dylan

Hi Dylan,

If you put your table footer in a textbox or frame in the page footer, you can position it to align exactly with the table in the body of the document.

So as to not have the table footer showing on other pages, you'll need section breaks before/after the table, and you'll also have to deal with the last page of your table, where the row in the footer could be a significant distance from the last row of the table.

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Interesting... how do I add a "frame in the page footer" ? Thanks,

dylan

Ummm, macropod. Yeah, well, ummm, I just tried doing that, aligning it to the table on the page. Can be done, but aiiiieeeee, that is a pain to fuss with. I would not want to be doing it on a regular basis.

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Hi Dylan,

For info on frames, see:
As you'll see, text boxes are the preferred method.

Gerry: If you've got the drawing grid size set as small as possible (0.1mm), it's quite easy to drag the object into mposition, especially if you zoom in.

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Cool, I will play with that and see what comes of it! Thanks a lot!

dylan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back