Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2003 mail merge automation problems (earlier verisions work fine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

khood

Programmer
Aug 27, 2000
US
I have an application that uses late binding to merge documents from an exported text file, by opening a template and creating the form letters. Everything worked perfectly in all previous versions of Word, until Word 2003 came out.

Now the template opens as before, but the merge never occurs. The user doesn't get any error messages, but the merge does not occur and must be handled manually. This application is used by my client's remote users (all independent companies). Therefore I cannot control what versions of Word that they use. These are high-volume applications, so this has become a big problem for them.

Is there something I need to add to handle Word 2003 mail merge that won't affect previous versions? Any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks in advance.

I have a workaround for the problem above, but I don't like it because it will require my client to modify the registry at each installation that has Word 2003. I found it in the following Microsoft article:
I would prefer to find another way or at least somehow make this easier for my client to install. I am considering writing a little registry update program, if possible.

You might have to force to open Word 2003:
Try this:
.OpenDataSource Name:="\\path\folder\FileName.rtf", _
LinkToSource:=True, _
Connection:="TABLE FileName", _
SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM [FileName]"
SubType = wdMergeSubTypeWord2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back