Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2003 - Importing from Excel to complete document

Status
Not open for further replies.

NX01

MIS
Apr 21, 2004
US
I have a Word doc that needs specific information in different lines here and there. Rather than going page by page to fill in the info, can I set these as a "field" in Word. Then input the data into Excel that would populate the information? I heard something about mailmerge and fields but can seem to understand how it works.

In the future everything will work...

Hi,

have you read the Help on MailMerge?

You can have an Excel Sheet set up as a table.

Each row of data corresponds to a separate document's worth of data elements.

In Word, you can toggle the View Merge Data to see the merged values and manually advance thru the row of source data using the Previous Record and Next Record buttons on the Mail Merge Toolbar.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red] A chicken, who would drag a wagon across the road for 2 cents, is…
POULTRY in motion to PULLET for a PALTRY amount! [tongue][/sub]

BTW,

I at one time used this technique to do personalized children's books.

Each book had its own source data elements and common elements. I entered the data for each client in one row.

I selected the Word document that corresponded to the requested book and stepped thru the records until I got to th client. Then I printed the pages for that client's book. Of course, I had previously set up the merge fields for each document properly.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red] A chicken, who would drag a wagon across the road for 2 cents, is…

Thanks Skip for you input. I started inserting my data into Excel and fields inWord. Is there a way to keep the "Insert Merge Fields" widnow open in Word with having to close it out after each field is inserted?

Not that I know of.

Skip,
[sub]

Thanks Skip.

I have my document 99% completed but can't seem to get a image to display. I have a column in excel for logos with the path (c:\....\logo.gif) but all that displays is the actual path. I did a search here but only found a couple of hints that didn't work out. Do you know what the tag is for a image? I tried {INCLUDEPICTURE "{MERGEFIELD Logo}"} I am on Word 2003.

Hi NX01,

If you're getting the path displayed in your document, that suggests you've:
. got the field code display toggled on - you can toggle it on/off via Alt-F9; and/or
. typed the field braces (ie '{}'). This won't work - they're special braces created in pairs via Insert|Field or Ctrl-F9.

If you're not running a mailmerge (eg producing multiple letters, each with a different logo), with Excel as your datasource, then you don't need a mailmerge field. What you need instead is a LINK field (which you'd embed in the INCLUDEPICTURE field in much the same way as you've tried to do with the MAILMERGE field). To do this, copy the Excel cell and paste its contents into word using Edit|Paste Special, checking the 'Paste link' option and As 'Unformatted text'.

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

I am using MailMerge so I will try the just to embed it each time. I have about 20 different forms that use 20 different logos...

So I take it that there is no way to insert a different picture with mail merge. Thanks all for your help.

Hi Nix,

Yes, you can insert pictures via mailmerge, and the {INCLUDEPICTURE "{MERGEFIELD Logo}"} syntax is correct - though you don't need the double quotes.

However, as I said before, if the path is being displayed in your document, that suggests you've:
. got the field code display toggled on - you can toggle it on/off via Alt-F9; and/or
. typed the field braces (ie '{}'). This won't work - they're special braces created in pairs via Insert|Field or Ctrl-F9.

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

How do I insert the picture if I can't type the syntax? I can only choose Includepicture or mergefield and not both. Thanks for your help

Hi NX01,
How do I insert the picture if I can't type the syntax?
The simplest way is:
. Insert the mergefield (eg «MyLogo»)
. Select the mergefield
. Press Ctrl-F9 to embed your mergefield inside a new field. You should see something like { «MyLogo» }
. Type 'INCLUDEPICTURE' inside the left field brace, thus - {INCLUDEPICTURE «MyLogo» }
. Run your mailmerge

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back