Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2003, How can I dump Outlook Express?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ispyderman98

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2003
US
I just recently upgraded one of my users to Office 2003. He had been creating documents in Word 2003 and using the "Send a Copy" function in Word to send the message to a specified e-mail address through Outlook Express. He's now using Outlook 2003. But, if you use the "Send a Copy" function in Word, it still defaults to using Outlook Express not Outlook. I've tried and tried to get him to use the "Mail To (as attachment)" feature instead. (works with Outlook) However, he requires the "Send a Copy" function to retrieve the e-mail address embedded somewhere in the Word Doc. He has hundreds of these documents. I'd like to can Outlook Express permanently. Is there any way to use the "Send a Copy" function with Outlook? Anyone's help would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance.

Have you considered removing OE directly from his machine?

Word can't use it then..

Cheers,
Dave

Probably the only Test Analyst on Tek-Tips

animadverto vos in Abyssus!

Take a look at Forum1393 & sign up if you'd like

That's the funny thing. If you remove Outlook Express from Windows XP, you're magically still able to use it within Word. But no, I haven't gone as far as physically deleting any files or registry keys yet.

Check out Internet Option in IE. There is a tab called programs where you set a default browser,email app, news group app etc. It may be set there to use OE instead of Outlook.

Aaron

In IE propertities is Outlook Express the default mail client? Also is the user doing send to mail recipient?

The options in IE have Outlook defined as the default Mail application.

The option being used in Word 2003 is "Send a Copy." Which, sends the contents of the Word document in the body of the html e-mail through Outlook Express. I'd like to know if the function would use Outlook instead of Outlook Express.

iEclipseSpyder

Where is this Send a Copy option. I'm running Work 2002 and I can't find it anywhere

You may have to add it to your toolbar using View - Toolbars - Customize. The option is labeled 'Send Now' under the File category. Drag and drop it to your toolbar of your choice for use.

I'm also using Word 2002. However, the option remains greyed out for myself. It's funny. It's almost like that option didn't exist on this PC with Office 2003 until he opened one of his old documents. The soultion is to use the Send To options of Word 2003 the 'Mail Recipient (as Attachment).' However, the e-mail address he needs to retrieve is embedded in the "Send Now" ("Send Copy") function in Word.

Still stumpped....

Rewrite the command to go to Outlook instead.

'Sub EmailEnvelope()
' 'Overrides the File Send To Mail Recipient command

'End Sub

Gerry
See my Paintings and Sculpture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back