Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2003 - Getting Started Task Pane 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

evt077

Technical User
Jan 21, 2004
US
I am trying to get Word to open without the Getting Started Task Pane to launch. I have tried Tools/Options/View and unchecking the Startup Task Pane check box. I then close Word and reopen it only to have the Getting Started Task Pane still launching.

HELP PLEASE!!!!

I don't know about 2003 but 2002 has a check box at the bottom of the task pane.

HTH,
Eric

I have just upgraded from 2002 to 2003 and had that feature checked in 2002 that is why I am sure there must be a way to turn this off in 2003 I just can't find it.

In my first message I wrote that I already tried that, it does not work. The Getting Started Task Pane continues to launch on startup.

Thx Luceze,

It works for me! This tektips website is so great!

If anyone is still having issues with this still coming up even though you unchecked that box, do the following:

Launch Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\General.

Look for a DWORD called DoNotDismissFileNewTaskPane.

Double-click it and change its value to 0

NOTE: If this key does not exist, you can create it and it'll work fine.

Last thing to mention is that this also works for Office XP, except in that path the 11.0 will be 10.0

Cheers!

Thanks edemiere,

I was able to get it to work by renaming my profile under c:\documents and settings. This allowed a new profile using my name to be recreated. After that it worked properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back