Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2003 Bookmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgreen39

Technical User
Oct 29, 2009
US
When I 'Save as PDF' a Word 2003 document that contains a TOC, the resulting PDF does not have the TOC navigation bookmarks. I saw a YouTube video on how to enable this capability in Word 2007 and 2010. The speaker also said you could do this in Word 2003 using an add-in. Does anyone know where I can get this Word 2003 add-in and how to install it?

I don't think Word 2003 can save to PDF by itself.
Do you have some add-in installed or external program?

Adobe's Acrobat (full or pro versions) add one or several modules that do the job. They work from within Word, so you see a menu in there to "save to" PDF.
They process the Word file, read all the bookmarks and related items, and build a PDF with the appropriate links and bookmarks from that Word file.
A lot of other programs allow you to "print to PDF" but they can't build bookmarks, because Word doesn't send that information to a printer.
what program are you using?

Thanks jay, that was a big help. Since Acrobat Pro is expensive, I think my best bet is to buy Word 2007 or newer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back