Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2002 Printing Spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabylonDrifter

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2001
US
Hi,

I am having a problem with several users printing from word XP. When they print out (to a network printer) an existing document, spaces appear randomly in the text. I have tried several different printer drivers which has no effect. Also, the documents look fine in the print preview.

Here is an example: Systems and Emer gency Health Care I am available Thursda y,

This mainly happens to users printing to HP 4000 printers and when I redirect the problem documents to another network printer- HP 4si printer the problem doesn’t show up? Some users also report that word tells them their margins are off for documents that have opened fine before.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Charles

Different printers have different printing capability. You may have a .25" margin on a doc that is set to print to a printer that is only capable of no less than a .27" margins. If you create a new doc, set all the margins to 0, and then tell it to FIX, you'll get the minimum margins allowable for THAT printer.

As for the spaces, it is surely the printer driver. Have you gone to the HP website and checked for the appropriate printer driver for your OS--NOT for your version of Office. Anne Troy
Dreamboat@TheWordExpert.com
Anne@MrExcel.com

The printer is probably substituting fonts. Go to printing preferences (and then advanced) and see if it's set to substitute fonts. You may want to set all font to "Don't substitute" and also set the printer to download as soft fonts rather than substitute.

HTH

Indu bid u adieu for a while after Aug 15. Need to look for employment. For any of my unfinished threads, please write to ishukla@yahoo.com

This is a common problem with Full Justification and Font Substitution. If you are unable to keep your printer from doing this, go into tools, then options. Select the compatibility tab. Put a chack in 'Do full justification like Word perfect'.

Word adds space between all the letters in full justification, while WP only adds space to the spaces.

Steve

Is that right, Steve??!! Damn! Wish I'd known that before! Anne Troy
Dreamboat@TheWordExpert.com
Anne@MrExcel.com

I've been experiencing the same problem and here's what fixed it for us:

Start/Seetings/Printers/Properties/Printing Preferences/Advanced/ - under "Graphic"

change "True Type Font - Substitute with Device Font"
to
"True Type Font - Download as Softfont"

HTH

Joanne

I had the same problem. Word XP and Windows XP with the HP 4000 Drives available in Windows XP. Both 4000 drivers available with Widows XP have different issues. The PCL 6 driver would not allow us to print to tray 3 (additional tray). The plain pcl driver caused the spacing problem you described when full justification is on. Try going to HP's website and downloading their pcl 5e driver for the 4000 series printer. It will resolved all the above mentioned issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back