Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2002 Opens then loses focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitdaf

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2003
US
Hi all,

This is driving me nuts so hopefully one you will be able to save my sanity. ;)

I'm using Office 2002 - fully updated with all the applicable SRs....

The problems are as follows:

1) Open a document, through a link or attachment (e-mail) opens the document then it immediately loses focus and disappears behind any other open apps. I have to "go get it".

2) Same scenario as above - additional irritant - it opens the document at 75% font size. I have to reset to 100% each and every time. Then when I close it it asks if I want to save - I do (thinking it meant the font size changes) but it's a repeat the next time it opens.

The above happen with all documents - not a particular doc.

Thanks so much for any clues as to correcting this. :)

Bitdaf

Off the top...get rid of your normal.dot and let Word make a new one. You can delete it, or just rename it so Word will not load it. If Word can't find it, it makes a fresh new one. See if that makes a difference.

Other than that, we would have to start step-by-step trying to find out what the heck it is doing.

Do you have any global templates loading?
Do you have any other add-ins loading?
Do you have any COM add-ins loading?

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Thanks fumei,

Removing normal.dot did not alter this behavior, unfortunately. As far as I know I am not using any add-ins or "extra" goodies. It's installed straight from the discs - then updated at Office Update.

Thanks
Bitdaf

R U using Norton Anti Virus? If so, try disabling the Office Add-in option under Advanced settings.

Regards: tf1

Hi all,

No voice recognition software, already running Tweak and I don't see a "focus" option that applies to this situation - thanks! :)

Not running Norton. :) Thanks

No worries tho, I'm going to be upgrading to 2003 and hopefully this will become a non-issue. I don't want to waste anymore of anyone's time with this - thank you so much for the replies! :)

Bitdaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back