Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2002 Hyperlinks & Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveHodd

Technical User
Jul 3, 2001
GB
We created a system for accessing our quality manuals, by inserting hyperlinks in Word97 documents. Using the Web toolbar it was easy to navigate Backwards and Forwards through the links you had used, to hyperlinks within the same document and in other word documents.

This behaviour has changed in Word2002 (due to the Single Document Interface), now you can use the Backwards button to go back one step, but that is all. You can not go back further or forwards. This makes the Web Toolbar virtually useless.

Does anyone know if it is possible to configure Word2002 so that the navigation buttons on the Web Toolbar function as the do in Word97 ?

Did you ever receive an answer to your question? I have run into the same problem, and am having no luck in resolving it, other than:

Selecting View then Web Layout,
then CTRL + left click on mouse. Seems like a lot of extra work to perform what should be a simple operation.

No I've never solved it completely.
I logged the question with Microsoft, they replied that it could not be corrected it in this release, as it could not be properly tested and it may cause problems to other functions, it maybe fixed in Word 2003. I replied to them, that if they had tested the hyperlinks properly before they released Word 2002, the problem would not have occured.

We are now running our application though Internet Exployer, the 1st page is html, this then calls Word documents. This allows you to go back to previous documents but does not go back to previous hyperlinks on the same page.

Thank you. Looks like Microsoft will force its users to "think outside the box."

I stumbled upon a "fix" for this problem late last week:

Go to Tools/Options/Edit

Unclick "Use CTRL + Click to follow hyperlink"

This will allow you to simply point to the hyperlink and move through the text; however, there are no highlights to indicate the hyperlink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back