Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2002 Hangs when opening files

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmorones

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2002
US
I have a P4 Dell Inspiron Laptop with 128 MB of ram. I recently ran into a problem where opening Word documents freezes Word. It just hangs. I tried reinstalling office but got no results. I even tried re-installing the OS and Word still hangs. I should mention that the files that I am opening are on a seperate partition than the OS. The seperate partition has not been formatted. Not sure if that would make a difference.

Try copying some of the files to a temporary folder in your OS partition and try to open them again....if it works, then backup your non-OS partition and format it, then restore your files and test it.
Roberto

The seperate partition has not been formatted ???

Sorry, but there is no way you would see any file on an unformatted partition!
Surely, you are doing something wrong, or explained it wrong.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Sorry Marcs41. I mean it is formatted in NTFS but has not been re-formatted since the problem began.

Ah, that makes sense now.
Did you check the Word docs on another PC? Do they open ok there? IF not, they may be corrupted.

OK, I tried the docs on another machine and they open fine. I then formatted the partition that the files were on and recopied them over. This still does not help. Word is still hanging when I try to open them.

Finally figured it out. When Word opens a document, it queries the default printer for info before opening the doc. Well, the default printer was a network printer in a Windows domain. Apparently,this can be a problem with XP. So, I added a default printer driver and now the docs open fine. The only hassle is that now whenever this employee wants to print, they have to go in and select the network printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back