Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2002 - Cannot select rows in tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiggrrr

Technical User
Feb 6, 2003
US
I have a computer that has just had Windows 2000 Pro SP3 and Office XP SP2 installed. All seems fine except that when using Word, one cannot select rows in tables. On occasion, you can actually highlight the row or portion of the row you want, but as soon as you select the cells you want, when you release the mouse, the cells de-select. And under most circumstances, as you move your mouse across the cells to select them, the previous cell is deselected as the next is selected. We can select the entire row by clicking in the margin, but if we drag the mouse across the cells or across specific cells, it does not hold the selection.

I’m quite that it is not a problem with the specific documents, as they are not problematic on other computers. I have attempted to speed up and slow down the mouse, but this makes no difference.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Juli

Was this an upgrade on the machine or was the hard drive formatted and the OS with Office installed?

I created a table in WordXP that is like 10 rows by 4 columns and have problem selecting a cell and dragging across the balance of the column. There may be a problem with your normal.dot file.

Make sure you have any instances of Word on the system, totally closed.

Do a search (Start > Search > All Files & Folders) for "normal.dot" without the Quotes....

Whatever normal.dot files you find, delete them.

Restart Word and try again. Word will reconstruct a default normal.dot file when it is reopened, and this should resolve the issue....

Laurie

Hey, thank you! Didn't reformat, but did a clean install of OS.

I will give this a shot! Thank you!

Juli

Well I gave that a try, but no luck. Once I deleted her Normal.dot, Word pulled the Normal.dot from the Server where her Word is pointed for Workgroup templates. And it still had the problem. I tried copying the template down to her workstation and having it pull from there. Same. Tried someone else's Normal.dot. Same. Checked other documents with tables and same problem. Odd. Will try uninstalling/reinstalling Office.

Thanks,

Juli

Well, it turns out it was her mouse. I realized that when I tried to make a shortcut from the Start|Programs menu, I couldn't drag the shortcut onto the desktop, but instead kept opening the program. Swapped out the mouse and all is back to normal. Whew! Thank you, Laurie for your help, though. It was a good suggestion.

Juli

Juli,

Isn't that totally odd. Goodness gracious... well I'm glad the problem was resolved and would like to thank you VERY MUCH for letting me know the solution.....

I'll add this little tip to my memory bank of notes 'n such .... I do appreciate it!!! and Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back