Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2000--Unable to save docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavinmacqueen

Technical User
Mar 18, 2002
US
All of a sudden when I try to do a "save as" I get this message: This is not a valid
file name. Try one of the following:*check the path to make sure it was typed correctly.
*Select a file from the list of files and folders.
No matter what I do, I cannot save a document and every time I try, I get this message.
Anyone have any ideas?
Jeff

Jeff,

Are you saving to a local disk or to a networked drive?
If it is a networked drive what OS is it? (Novell, NT4) Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

I'm not on or using a network. I am saving to my 2nd hard drive(D:), where I keep my "My Documents" folder. I have never had any problems before. When I start a new document and do a "save as" to name the document, I get the error message described. Even if I use the default file name "doc1", it still won't let me save.

The only thing I can think of is to make sure the folder didnt accidently get changed to read-only.

Sorry I could not help more.

Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

You probably already tried this but....Have you shut down, made sure your shift, alt, ctrl and space bar keys weren't stuck by wacking them a couple of times and powered back on. Thought I would take a shot in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back