Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2000 shuts down after loading when running xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2003
GB
When i start word 2000 it shuts down straight away or more specifically when i stop typing the first word (happens on new or after opening existing documents)!!!! if i hold a key down the program does not produce an error but when i lift off the key the program decides it needs to shut down.

I am running xp home.

All the other office programs seem to work (so far).

Microsoft suggested turning off compatibility options (already off) and they suggested a corrupted Normal.dot file but it doesn't seem to exist.

Does anybody know what is going on?

Windows XP does a lot of funny things. Have you tried applying the latest service pack?

I'm also having the same problem. I've run all of the latest service packs and even gone as far as uninstalling Word. All of the other Ofice programs run correctly. Just can't get Word to open. I have gone to Microsoofts KB to get nothing but he same solution.

right, i seem to have solved it inadvertantely. The printer on my computer was not installed properly and this can cause an error in word apparently.

Actually my home PC is on a small network and the printer was not set to being a shared resource on the other one.

as simple and as stupid as that!!!!!!!!!!

have a play with your printer set up and see if it solves anything fingers crossed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back