Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2000 "not enough memory"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkral

Vendor
Mar 29, 2001
CA
Has anyone seen Word 2000 give a message "There is not enough memory or disk space to complete this operation" when there patently is more that sufficient amounts of both. If so was there a fix for it.

Computer Cel850/256MB SDRAM/20GB Maxtor/ Win98se / Office 2000 Standard.

Started with the inability to open attachments in Outlook Express 5, then opened the same attachments fine when they were exported to Outlook 2000. Reinstalled Outlook Express; opens the attachment fine the first time then close OE reopen and the message returns.

Repaired Office 2000; message appears if I open Word from desktop and then try to open Options; continues to appear if I continue to try to open Options but if I then open any pre-existing document I can open Options no problem.

Any help would really be appreciated. Let me know if you need more details.

Thanx

tkral

Could it be bad memory?

How about too much junk in your c:\windows\temp file?

Are you running other programs? Can you close them?

Microsoft's webpage suggests these:

NOTE : If you are running antivirus software, try turning it off. If this corrects the behavior, contact the manufacturer of your antivirus software for an update or workaround.

To work around this behavior in the short term, use any of the following methods:

You may be able to recover some disk space by quitting unneeded programs. After quitting the other programs, it may take a few minutes before Windows changes the size of the swap file.

You can free disk space by deleting unneeded files. For example, empty the Recycle Bin.

Try running the Optimizer program.

Try defragging your machine.

You may be able to save your file to a floppy disk drive or network drive.

Temp files are quite minimal, this is a brand new machine using about 10% of the hard drive space. When Word gives the message upon opening the Options there are no other programs running other than the basic windows stuff and Norton AV trial version.

I have considered the possibility of NAV being the culprit but the behaviour happened before NAV was installed.

A virus was found on the machine, Nimda I think, I am wondering if it corrupted a system file, but which one?

Reformatting is not really an option.

tkral

Have you tried renaming the normal.dot file and then opening Word to see if the behvior stops. The file will be recreated when Word is reopened. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Nope! Tried that - same problem

This problem only appears if I open the document and then click on the options menu item. and this only happens after a restart it seems that once the message has been cancelled and any form of key-stroke will avert the behaviour. From that point on the whole of Word begins to flash if options is selected, including the button in the task bar.

Very Bizzar

tkral

To be sure it is a Word program issue or not then try opening Word from the RUN dialog using the /a switch and see if you have the same problem.

"C:\program files\.....winword.exe" /a

This will open Word without any of the add-ins or templates. If the misbehavior stops then it is not Word but something else being loaded.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back