Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2000 - Program Will Not Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjtindal

Programmer
Mar 22, 2004
US
NOTE: I have already uninstalled and re-installed Office 2000 in order to fix this problem, however it was not repaired.

When I open Word 2000, I get this message:
Microsoft Word for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
For more information about this error, click here.

Upon "clicking here," I get this message:
Error signature
AppName: winword.exe AppVer: 9.0.0.2717 ModName: winword.exe
ModVer: 9.0.0.2717 Offset: 003e4fbd
To view technical information about the error report, click here.

Upon "click here" on that screen, I get this message:
Error Report Contents:
The following information about your process will be reported:
(and a whole bunch of stuff, and then...)

The following files will be included in this error report:
C:\DOCUME~1\LOFTIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\defe_appcompat.txt

Finally, when I just say okay to it not being able to open, I get this message:
The instruction at "0x10046ace" referenced memory at "0x000000000". The memory could not be "read".

----What is wrong with Word? Nothing happened to cause this problem. It worked perfectly yesterday, not at all today. I can still get into all other office programs.

Any help would be appreciated!

ok i have this same exact problem and i have been running in circles to try and fix this. and the wierd thing is if i log in as a different user, there's no problem it works fine. so i did everything for this user's account cleaned it up got rid of temp files, ran virus scan, ran spyware. uninstalled it, cleaned out the registry according to microsoft to completely remove it. tried installing using a different office 200 cd and still nothing, still get the same exact error message. and microsoft's answer to it is to upgrade to office 2003. i'm starting to think it's sabotage from microsoft. i just don't know what else to do.

~~Calling technical support is a sign of weakness.~~

Well I'm definately glad I'm not the only one having the problem. I could upgrade to 2003, but it just irritates me that Word's not working for any reason.

Btw, NocBob, when did yours stop working? Mine was this morning.

it was last week for me, i think either monday or tuesday the user gave me a call. it's definately something that i haven't encountered before. and i refure to upgrade cuz of something this ridiculous.

*refuse

hey tjtindal, i don't know if you fixed your problem yet but just in case i found this and it worked for me. apparently the normal.dot template got corrupted. but it's pretty simple to fix so good luck and hope it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back