Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2000 Opens as a full screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymason

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
GB
Word 2000 opens as a full screen, no toolbars. Right clicking only brings up max. close or min. No view options or drop down menus. I've uninstalled/reinstalled word and office. Renamed the normal.dot. What else can I do?
It does this whether you open an existing document or if you just open Word.

Thansk Guy

You could try hitting Alt + Ctrl & N, which is the default keystroke for Normal View.

Sorry, my mistake - ignore last post. Try Alt + V to bring up the Views menu. Then toggle off Full Screen.

Thanks, but nope, alt+c doesn't do anything either.

?
Guy

My last shot at solving this one, and you'll need another PC with Word (97 or 2000) on it, as you need to get at the VBA editor.

First create a new Template file called FullScreen.DOT (or whatever, as long as it's a .DOT file). Save this to floppy disk.

Click on Tools | Macro | Macros, and in the Macro Name field, type AutoNew. Change the Macros In field to FullScreen.Dot. Then click the Create button. This creates an outline macro called Sub AutoNew() in your new Template file.

Now type (or copy) the following line under the Sub AutoNew() header:
ActiveWindow.View.FullScreen = False

So you end up with:

Sub AutoNew()
'Comments
'Comments

ActiveWindow.View.FullScreen = False

End Sub

Save your file. Bring the disk to your own machine, the one with the faulty Word on it. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to your PC's startup folder for Word 2000. On Windows 9x PCs this is usually C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\STARTUP. On Windows 2000 PCs it'll probably be in C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\[your username]\APPLICATION DATA\MICROSOFT\WORD\STARTUP.

Copy the FullScreen.DOT file from your disk to the Startup folder.

Now start Word. The Fullscreen.DOT template will open on Startup, and the Autonew macro will automatically run. If your version of Word is running in Fullscreen mode, the line of code you placed in the macro should turn Fullscreen off.

If it doesn't work, then your problem is something other than Word defaulting to Fullscreen mode.

Thanks Neddy for your very indepth reply.
However just before I was going to try it, I thought I'd try one last uninstall. But this time I deleted all the Office folders in all drives plus the current user and local machine registry entries. And it worked.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back