Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2000 not Responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

haydn

Technical User
Mar 16, 2002
GB
Word is not 'responding'. The opening screen displays, but nothing else. No error messages, just a frozen screen. The only way out is to try to close it - even this is difficult.

All other modules of Office working OK.

My laptop was slowing down recently, so I did the following:
1. Cleared redundant registry entries etc via PC Pitstop
2. De-fragged the disc (80Gb of which 12Gb free)
3. Ran Norton full virus scan - OK.

The laptop is now performing OK, except for Word.

I'm running XP Pro on an ACER 8000 laptop. Plenty of memory etc. All other applications are now running fine.
I went to the Office directory and tried loading Word via the winword.exe file, but still no luck.

Any suggestions welcome - this is causing me serious problems.

Thanks

Mike
I have uninstalled Office and re-installed it, but still no luck with Word.

Run Regedit and navigaste to the following entry and delete it.

Word will automatically recreate it when it is next started.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Office9\Word\Data

Regards: tf1

What about Text to speech, or something like that..Im on Vista now and it doesnt load automatically but does on XP. Its usually on toolbar next to clock area.
Im drawing a blank on what its really called.
Or maybe remove and load latest adobe viewer.

tf1:

Well, I deleted the registry item as well as a couple of other dead ones (old printers mainly). No joy I'm afraid - it's still stuck. Mind you, the laptop works away like the clappers, making quite a noise and the disc thrashes away like there's no tomorrow, so something's going on - it's just not quite enough whatever it is.

robmazco:

In the safe mode version of Word, I can't see Text to speech and were you suggesting it be removed if it is there?

Regards

Text to speech really shouldn't affect this problem, but removing/disabling it may help the laptop!

Next suggestion is try an alternative printer: even if you don't have another and it isn't attached doesn't matter. Try an old HP LaserJet 4 driver or any common driver from the Windows list and set it as Windows default. Let me know how that goes.

Terry

Regards: tf1

Ive seen that text to speech cause a ruckuss and I believe there is a known issue that MS acknowledges, just not sure if thats the problem here. Cant hurt to remove it.

start-settings-control panel
regional and language options-languages-details
advanced-system config
turn off advanced text services.

shows two entries -deskPDF.dot and MSFilter.dot, although the delete button is greyed out. They are both ticked as being currently loaded. There don't seem to be any Global Templates."

Those ARE global templates.

Just to bring this fully up to date:

1. you HAVE removed any .dot files (deskPDF, MSFilter...anything) from any STARTUP folder. Both startups - c:\doc&settings\username\Application Data\yadda\startup AND c:\program files\microsoft office\office 10\startup

Or variations of those paths. Any and all .dot files. Word uses both separate STARTUP folders. Check them both.

2. you HAVE removed any and all normal.dot files. There can be multiples around.

3. you HAVE removed all registry entries, as suggested above

4. you HAVE made sure that the printer driver is up-to-date

5. you HAVE added the COM addins menu item to Tools, and checked there. The COM addin is not on the Tools menu by defaut. It must be added...although maybe in newer versions that is not the case.

Correct?

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

tf1:

I created a new dummy printer and made it the Windows default, and I disabled the text to speech setting - still no luck.

fumei:

All done, except 5. - the COM add ins menu; not obvious how to add this in. No change - Word still sitting like a lemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back