Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2000 menu bar missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BYarn

MIS
Jul 20, 1999
US
I am trying to help a person who uses Word2000. THE main menu bar (FILE,EDIT,etc) is MISSING. deleting files and reinstalling doesn't work. Most but not all shortcut keys work (but not the one to load the View (toolbar) menu

ANy ideas? Is there a hidden file to edit, delete or is it a regestry problem??

I don't know where Word keeps track of all this but the only way I know to remove/return the Menu Bar is with code:

Code:
CommandBars("Menu Bar").Enabled = True
' or False

As for shortcuts, the key combination could have been set to do something else. Check out Tools > Customize > Keyboard...

Enjoy,
Tony

Thanks for the feedback! "Normal .dot was deleted when the entire app was removed, can't get to the Tools > Customize > Keyboard..., and if I don't know where the code is that won't work (tried search of registry

Will try corrupted regestry, which I think it is because its the ONLY known thing not completey removed/replaced.

I will advise..thanks

Try this..

I think your Menu bar may have been moved off the side of the screen the following combination should get it back.

Alt-F (brings up the file menu)
Left Arrow
Down Arrow
Left Arrow
Left Arrow (Selects Move option)
Enter

This should select the move option which then lets you move the window back into view.

I did do this with office XP not 2000. But if you have another PC with office 2000 drag the Menu bar to the middle of the screen and experiment with the left and right keys until you find the combination you need to select Move then you should be able to drag back into view.

If different in 2000 look in area where menu appears when you hit Alt-F e.g. bottom right and see if there is any sign of the corner of the Menu bar. Hide stuff like the taskbar or resize the the word window. Anything little thing that might encourage the menu bar to pop back into view.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back