Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2000 hanging/crashing on XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Authors

MIS
Feb 25, 2004
GB
Having recently upgraded half of our companies machines to P4's running XP, I put Office pro on them. Other people in the office are using Office 2000 pro on Windows 2000 or 98 machines with no trouble.
These new XP machines are hanging and crashing specifically when opening, closing or switching Word Documents. Our IT support company seems to think there is a compatability problem and we should upgrade to Office 2003. Is this a known issue, or am I being taken for a ride?

I don't know why Word is crashing but Office XP is certainly compatible with the Windows versions you mentioned so I think your IT company is taking you for a ride. Perhaps they should investigate the problem first.

There should be no reason for an upgrade to Office 2003. The programs mentioned are compatible with the OS mentioned. Try downloading some updates, it may help you with your problem.

Another thread on this forum with similar Word crashes pointed the finger at a printer driver.

We are experiencing the same problem and are desperate for an answer. Did you ever get this resolved? It seemed to start for us after applying Service Pack 1a for XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back