Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 02 Crashes Everytime We Hit Print

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason985

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2002
US
This is the problem. Everytime we try to print from the printer icon in word 2002, word causes and states it needs to restart. When we try to print from file-print, word states no printers are installed. Strange thing is, we can print fine in any other applications,IE, PP, Excel, Publisher, word pad, etc.... We have tried everything we can think of at the moment to figure this one out. No luck. This is what we have tried already. Changing printer drivers, all windows and office updates, system file checkers, devices in win.ini file, delete and reinstall print drivers, reinstalled office. No luck. This is happening to 10 of our patron machines. Any ideas would be greatly appericated.

Thanks
Jason

BTW: Running Windows 2000
Printer is a networked HP4000tn

Have you tried turning off "Background printing" under Tools, Options, Print tab?

Yes I have tried turning off backgroud printing.

Thanks

Are you on a netork? My network has a problem with going into memory dump when printing, what OS are you running on?

we are having this issue as well. the spooling process seems to take forever, and then sometimes (a lot of times) word will just hang, or the pages being printed will not print properly.

The bottoms of the pages will be cut off. But only in word.

-kulasti

Running Windows 2000 Pro.
Strange thing is, I can print to any other printer in word, but the 4000tn. I tried all the nt/2000 drivers also.

2k pro and NT run on the same base but they have a few diffrences, test the printer on another computer running on either XP or 98/ME. It could be that Word 2002 might not be compatable with your printer, how old is it? Are you on a netwrok if so how many PC's?

Hi!

Although I am not an expert on the matter, what I know is that only a handful of things can cause such a problem:

1. A corrupt document. Which probably is not the case here.

2. Wrong or corrupt printer driver. I know you have changed printer drivers, but have you tried going one printer model down for printer drivers? Are you using PCL6? There are some known issues with PCL6 try using 5 instead.

3. Win.ini file is corrupt or damaged or has duplicate entries. The best way to resolve this one is to rename the file and run Windows setup again. (Most likely problem)

4. There is no room on HD or the swap file is too small to handle the task. (Not likely)

A couple of suggestions:

Try turning down the Video acceleration a notch or two.

Open the document in Wordpad and see if you have the same problems.

In addition to background printing make sure "Allow Fast Saves" is unchecked.

Does this happen to any document? new or saved?

Forgot to ask the standard question:

Did you delete normal.dot?

I know it's 10 machines, but it could be a common file.

OK, i tried PCL6 and 5 already same problem. I have not tried to delete the normal.dot file. I check win.ini file, and everything else you named same problem. This is what i found out, ONLY word gives me this problem. If i install a different networked printer such as a 1200 series, it works fine, when i change back to 4000 series, it crashes. So it has to be something with the 4000 printer or driver.

Jason

HP4000 and MS are not the best of friends (I don't think anyone can be best friends with.......)

I would suggest you install HP4si or HP5si print drivers for this particular printer.

From what machine would the normal.dot be deleted from? It is a shared file amongst many machines. Should the file be deleted from all areas? Also, will this affect the installed print drivers.

-kulasti

kulasti,

Do you also print to HP4000 with Word XP and Win2K?

To me your problem sounds more to do with print spooling or print and save settings in word.

yes, I do print from the HP 4000 series from XP, and 2k.

At one point we thought we had the problem resolved by rolling back to the ms PCL 5 drivers, however, our problem came back. For a temporary fix, we routed the clients to the printer via a direct tcp connection.

Now we are having this issue with other users on a different printer, and need the actual fix, not another band-aid...

Thanks,

-kulasti

I know for a fact that the HP4100 works with NT/2k as I use them in work, try upgrading if nothing else can be done, also what connection do you use? Sometimes their can be a problem with the port if its a VP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back