Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Won't work after installing SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CUBALIBRAS

Technical User
Jan 31, 2003
US
Today I transferred all files from a friend’s computer. Reinstalled using the manufacturer’s cd which included windows xp. Reloaded everything and lastly downloaded Microsoft service pack 2. It installed and instructed me to restart so I did; now it won’t star.

The screens show gateway, then the Windows XP screen with what I call the little blue train in the box as if it is loading, then it goes blank and starts again.

I have tried restarting in safe mode, last know good but nothing happens, it just loops the same thing.

I tried the installation disc and selected repair but it takes me to C:\WINDOWS and to be honest I have no clue what to enter.

I’m hoping someone knows how to resolve this because the files I transferred off his pc onto an external drive were deleted once he checked they were restored on the original pc.

I have tried undelete software fro the external but the documents aren’t there otherwise I would just format the pc and start over.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Jake

Did you do a clean install? Is his computer able to support XP? Can you re-install the external HD & download either of these apps to it (they're available on a trial version)? They may help in recovering lost files.

or

As a side note, you might want to tell your friend to invest in a CD or DVD-RW to back up all important files. I have all our files copied onto CD/DVD disks, one retained here in my home and another, including originals, stored in our safety deposit box @ our bank. We live in SW Florida so I believe there's no such thing as too much protection.
Hope this helps, Bob [shadeshappy]

I tried the installation disc and selected repair but it takes me to C:\WINDOWS and to be honest I have no clue what to enter".

That sounds like you have entered the Recovery Console. While your there you could try the command ChkDsk /r which will check for file errors and bad sectors on your hard drive, that might help.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

You also sound like you are confusing a repair install with the Recovery Console, they are two different processes.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

That is a way of repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates (including SP2 if the XP CD is not an SP2 one) but your files will be untouched.

You can create a XP SP2 CD for any repair if you wish.

Slipstream Service Packs
thread779-900263

See this too.

RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack

Other ways of just removing SP2 are also covered in the following articles.

885626 - Your computer stops responding when you restart to complete the installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2

875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer

875355 - How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully

SP2 - Microsoft Support is Free for SP2 Issues
thread779-923312

This thread will lead you into BartPE and the like, with these you can look at the logs for SP2, save valuable data and more.

Cannot logon to winxp...losing lots of valuable documents
thread779-975236

In your Windows folders will be the Service Pack logs which may contain information that might be helpful.
Locate the Windows XP SP2 Setup log files. The Setup program logs information about the Windows XP SP2 installation to the following log files: • Setupapi.log • Svcpack.log.

Data recovery.
PC Inspector (freeware)

Plenty of other recovery software listed here.

thank you both for your responses, they will take me some time to read and try so I will post my results hopefully tomorrow, but i just wanted to say thanks now.

Jake

thank you all for your help, this link provided by linney was successful

875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer

The only problem now remaining is i cannot start Outlook (2003), i tried to reinstall it as a repair thus hoping to preserve the contacts & messages but it can't find the windows installer.

i'll search the white papers but if anyone knows how to fix this then i'll be happy to hear from you again.

if not, thanks anyway,

best regards

Jake

Can you get it going from this location by clicking on the Outlook exe?

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 (or Office11)

This hidden and system folder is worth checking too so that you can salvage old E-mails (.pst files) etc. and Import them into any new install of Outlook.
C:\Documents and Settings\Usernamexxxx\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) is available

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

You're the man linney !

i found one paper that instructed me to change a few .dll files and when i did it asked me for the windows disc, so i put it in and it repaired it !

but that didnt help with the Outlook problem, but you have !

i have just checked and there is a file, size 313mb so i'm hoping it's not corrupted. i have copied the file to a different local and will un/reinstall outlook, just in case it deletes the folder.

thanks again for you help, its very much appreciated.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back