Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Won't make me popular: How do I stop network gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiwayman

Technical User
Jul 30, 2002
GB
I have to find a way to prevent games from being played across a NT4.0 network with a mixture of Macs and Windows workstations.
I am right in thinking that you could look at blocking the ports that they use? Can this be done server side? If so how would I go about it? Would this have any effect on other network traffic?
I also have a Gnatbox firewall, can this be used?

Many thanx..
Gavin

most online games use UDP ports in the 26000+ range. But when starting a server ...you can specify different ports if you want...

hmmm... So.. if you wanna disallow gaming to the NET, disallow UDP port range 26000-28000.

But .. if you wanna disallow internal gaming... that's altogether different, I think. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Yes, you can block network ports, but you will have to have managed switches to do that. Tampering with server does not help in LAN. :)

If your users are NT,2K,XP users, then local policies can prevent them from installing games (wait till after hours and sort out their machines, remove games, etc and lock em down solid). Then wait for the screams of anger next day!

No way to filter traffic on a LAN as all machines are connected on one segment which means no traffic can be filtered.
Even a decent switch will not allow port filtering unless you buy a nice expensive layer3 switch.

You could remove IP off the users machines and give them NETBEUI and/or IPX to connect to the LAN with - then no network gaming..... But this kills internet access... unless.......

If you are running an NT4 server with Proxy2 server running for net access, and if the server is running TCP/IP, IPX and SAP SERVICE (service advertising protocol), then you can give the client IPX ONLY and install Microsoft Proxy CLient, and hey presto! They'll still be able to surf using IPX (kinda cool but clunky).

What you really need is a personal firewall on the offending machines that cant be tampered with by the users. I am not aware of any personal firewalls that are built to be tamperproof except by the SYSADMIN. Anyone have any suggestions of suitable products that can offer a 'locked down' personal firewall?

Rgds

Phil Blythe

Hi,

I use system policy editor, specify what programs they can run...word,excel etc..........he..he I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Even if the kids bring games in on disk they can`t load then.

I also use xstop firewall software on top of ms proxy to filter bad sites and game playing!

jono

Would you please recommend an easy-to-follow, step by step book (with illustrations) on setting up and maintaining a NT network system?

I run a script at startup that looks on the machine for various software. ( IM's and rouge e-mail progs) if the script finds the executable on the c: then it deletes it. Then the script creates a text file with the users name as the title. At this point the text files are turned over to the manager and they take care of it.

Hope you can use this somehow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back